st andrews heading

Services

Sunday Service: 9.00am Eucharist.
11-00am Holy Communion at Ripponburn Home.

Tuesday: 10.00am Eucharist and Discussion.

Contact

Contact Vicar: Damon Plimmer
The Vicarage 186 Brownston Street, Wanaka
Phone (03) 443 2440, Mobile 027 216 5165
Email: ucang@calledsouth.org.nz

Local Warden: Jean Cox (03) 445 3356

History

The oldest church building in Cromwell, St. Andrews Anglican Church, was first planned with the coming of the Rt. Revd. Samuel Neville, Bishop of N.Z. on his pastoral visit to the area in 1873. A committee, headed by Vincent Pike, the Otago Goldfields Secretary, chose the site and began the project which was supported by one of Cromwell's pioneers, John Marsh, who donated the land on which the Church was built. This was contracted to James Taylor, at a cost of 700 pounds, raised by the local community beginning with a parish fair by run by a group of Anglican women.

The church was dedicated to its Patron, Saint Andrew, on 29th November, 1874, the day before his feast day. The consecration had to await the return of Bishop Neville, and was celebrated on February 10th, 1880. The first baby to be baptised was Charlotte Perriam.

Leadlight windows were installed in the east and west walls in 1893, while the fine stained glass windows by the London craftsman, Carl Edwards, were fitted into the sanctuary in the form of a triptych and dedicated by Archdeacon Pywell on Whitsunday, 1966. They were a memorial to Jane Tippets.

In 1930, largely due to the generosity of the Hotop family, Bishop Richards, the Dunedin Diocese, dedicated a stained glass widow, the oak reredos, a set of altar plate in brass, consisting of an altar cross, candlesticks, missal stand, alms dish and plate, as well as cruets, pyx box and missal, and also altar frontals for the four liturgical seasons.

The church hall was built in 1932 by Dave Betts at a cost of 300 pounds, providing a suitable venue for the sunday school, which first met there in that same year.

Saint Andrews Church was for many years a part of the Parish of Dunstan, until the process of separation began in 1959, eventually culminating in the building of a vicarage in Cromwell in 1962, when the first Vicar of the Cromwell Parochial District, the Revd. Roger Taylor was appointed. In 1990, Cromwell was joined to Wanaka as part of the newly-formed Parish of Upper Clutha, which encompassed oversight also, of Anglicans who live in Tarras and Makarora.

In March 2006, owing to logistical reasons, the vicarage was rented out and a new vicarage built in Wanaka, to enable the next permanent stipendiary priest to minister nearer to the growing centre of population in the wider parish area.

outside st andrews in cromwell

 

inside st andrews cromwell

 

bell outside st andrews cromwell